Saturday, May 9, 2009

Western Wall


Last night I had the opportunity to go to the Western Wall and celebrate the start of Shabbot with the Jewish people. It was a really special experience to be able to go up to the wall and see these wonderful women sobbing at the wall. It was a humbling experience and it really touched me. The Western Wall is such a sacred and speical place and it is all they have left of their temple. The Jewish people are so friendly and welcoming. I was able to talk to a couple of girls around my age who shared with us some of their beliefs and customs. I love learning about all the different religions and their similarities to my own religion. The girls were so kind and good about explaining reasons for doing things and the symbolism that was behind what was taking place. I even got to join in on a dance with them to welcome in the Sabbath. It was really cool! Words can't explain how amazing this experience was. To see the sorrow at the loss of the temple but also the tremendous joy that they have was incredible. It was one of my favorite experiences here so far. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment