Saturday, July 25, 2009

Lessons from Galilee


The very first field trip that we had in Galilee started out with a boat ride across the sea. While sailing across we discussed the story of Peter walking on water. I have always loved that story but I developed a greater understanding and love for the many lessons that were taught in it. Firstly, Peter sees Christ walking across the water in the stormy sea and recognizes him. He calls out to the Savior and asks if He can come out to Him. Then Peter took that giant leap of faith by stepping out of the safety of the boat and onto the stormy and temptestuous sea. Think of how much faith that would require, to walk out towards the sea. But Peter knew He would be okay because He put His trust in the Savior and walked towards Him. After the first fews steps on water Peter made the mistake of looking away from the Savior and began to sink into the waves of the sea. Often, in our own lives it is when we take our eyes of the Savior and begin to succomb to the waves of doubt and despair that we find ourselves sinking. Peter called out to Jesus and immediately the Savior reached out to him and lifted him above the storm. We need to follow Peter's example and always turn to the Lord in our trials and tribulations. Christ is always there waiting for us, all we have to do is call to Him. He will immediately lift us into His arms and encompass us about in His love.

Later on that day we had the opportunity to go to St. Peter's Primacy, a little church dedicated to Peter on the Shores of the Sea of Galilee. It was here that we talked about the love and compassion of the Savior. He always looked after the needs of those around Him both temporally and spiritually. Something that really hit me as I was learning all these things was that the very miracles that Christ preforms in the New Testament are avaliable to us in our own lives. The people that Christ healed were people just like you and me. Jesus Christ lives today and He is able to heal us if we turn to Him and put our faith in Him. The compassion of Christ is something that I have come to know more personally since coming to the Holy Land. I know that our Savior loves us each personally and infinitely. I am so greatful for that knowledge.

Galilee is a very special place. It is so beautiful and green. It is a fitting place for the Savior to grow up and preform miracles. I know that He truly did walk, preach, and teach in the area around Galilee. I am thankful for the opportunity that I had to come to know my Savior more deeply by studying His life and teachings in the very place that He taught his disciples so long ago. Those same lessons can apply into our own lives, they are real and they are powerful. We can learn so much from the scriptures if we truly study and ponder them. I know my Savior loves me and I am so thankful for the lessons that I learned on the shores of Galilee.

No comments:

Post a Comment